Major schools of tea:
- Yabunouchi Ryu – founded by Jochi Yabunouchi (1536-1627).
- Enshu Ryu – founded by Kobori Enshu (1579-1647)
- Sohen Ryu – founded by Yamada Sohen a disciple of Sen Sotan
- Matsuo Ryu – founded by Suji Genya
- Endosenke Ryu – founded Kawakami Fuhaku. He went Edo in the direction of the 7th generation Omotesenke master and founded this school
- Sekishu Ryu – founded by Katagiri Sekishu (1605 ~ 1673) Sekishu School was appointed as tea ceremony style of Shogunate family by the third Shogun Tokugawa Iemitsu (1604 ~ 1651) This is the daimyo style school which was most spread through the Edo times.
- Dai Nippon Sado Gakai (the great Japanese Tea Academy)